As you no doubt already know, Callaloo is a journal devoted to creative work by and critical studies of the work of African Americans and peoples of African descent throughout the African Diaspora. Visual art and studies of life and culture in the Black world are also published regularly in Callaloo, as is wide-ranging cultural criticism. Callaloo is published five times per year (Winter, Spring, Summer, Art, and Fall), and accepts original submissions of scholarly articles, book reviews, interviews, nonfiction essays, short fiction, poetry, drama, and visual art.
- All manuscripts must be double spaced and submitted only as a Word document (.doc or .docx). Identifying information, including names of authors, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses should not be included in the manuscript. Manuscripts should not exceed 10,000 words excluding the title page, abstract, biographical information, and references. All manuscripts should follow the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (3rd edition) and include a works cited and endnotes, not footnotes.
- All poetry submissions are now limited to no more than five poems at a time with a maximum of ten poems by an author per calendar year. Additional poems (unless requested by the Editor) will automatically be declined and returned. You must create a separate submission for each poem.
- All fiction submissions are now limited to one manuscript per submission with a maximum of three submissions by an author each calendar year. Additional fiction submissions (unless requested by the Editor) will automatically be declined and returned. You must create a separate submission for each fiction manuscript.
- Artwork should be submitted as low resolution .jpg or PDF files. Artwork must include the following information: title of piece, year created, media, dimensions (in inches), location of the piece.
- Manuscripts submitted to Callaloo should not be currently under review by another journal or by a book-length publication. We do not accept simultaneous submissions. Moreover, we do not accept any unsolicited material that has been previously published.
- Please do not send revisions during the time your manuscript is being reviewed; those revisions will not be considered during the review process.
- Throughout the calendar year, authors who have submitted manuscripts to Callaloo may track the status of their submissions at any time.
- Authors will be contacted after the review process, which takes from two months to one year, on average.
The editors, staff, and financial supporters of Callaloo will not assume any legal responsibilities for materials published in the journal. Materials published in the journal do not necessarily represent the views of its editors, staff, or financial supporters.
Please send submissions to the following address:
Texas A&M University
MS 4212 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4212
Please direct queries by surface mail to the above address or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .