Author FAQs


Can I order reprints of my article?

Reprints of articles can be ordered on the Internet from the Sheridan Press electronic order center. You must order 25 copies or more. Orders will be processed 8 to 12 business days after the journal has been printed. You may also download and print an order form from this site and send a check if you prefer. Reprints may be ordered before or after the article has been published, but within two years of publication.

I've just published a scholarly book. How do I get it reviewed in Johns Hopkins journals?

Please see the Submissions Guidelines page on this site for journals that you think are good choices to see if they review books. Then let your publisher have this information so that they can send a review copy to the book review editor. It may or may not be reviewed, that is up to the editors of the journal.


Does the JHUP charge a fee for a article submission?

Thet JHUP does not require potential contributors to pay an article submission fee in order to be considered for publication in any of the Journals that we publish. Any other website that purports to be affiliated with a JHUP Journal and that requires you to pay an article submission fee is fraudulent. Do not provide payment information. Instead, we ask that you contact William Breichner the Journals Publisher at the Johns Hopkins University Press wmb@press;

How do I prepare my manuscript for consideration?

Please see the Submissions Guidelines page on this site for the journal to which you're interested in submitting. Some journals will accept email submissions, others prefer hard copy.

Does my manucript have to follow a certain stylebook? Which one?

JHUP journals vary in which stylebook they use. Common ones are Chicago, MLA, APA. However, most if not all journals will review your manuscript without demanding that it adhere to a particular stylebook. You will be expected to revise your MSS to the appropriate style if accepted.

My article has been accepted. It has six illustrations. May I submit digital files?

Yes. Please see Art in Digital Format section below.

I do not have digital files for the art in my article. Do you still accept photographs? What about good printouts?

Yes. Please supply black and white photographs, 4 x 6 inches if possible. We cannot accept printouts or laser copies of art unless it is purely a black and white chart or simple figure. In that case, please send us a good laser and also the files. Please read points 4 and 5 in the Art in Digital Format section below and follow them.

Will images from the Internet reproduce well in print?

Generally, no. Images downloaded from websites usually have low resolution (72 dpi) and are not suitable for offset printing—they will look pixilated or jagged when printed. However, some websites have a link for downloading a high resolution image; this image will reproduce well in print. And please see Rights, below.

Rights & Permissions

I wrote an article for one of the Johns Hopkins journals a few years ago. Do I need JHUP's permission to print this article in my upcoming book?

No. You have our permission to publish the article in any book that is solely your own work. Please see your publishing agreement. If you are editing a book that contains your article but has others' work, too, please consult our Permissions Department.

My colleague is editing a collection of essays, and she wishes to reprint one of my articles. I would love to see it in print again. What do we do?

She should contact our Permissions Department and mention that she has your approval.

Given that I'm contributing to a scholarly journal, is it safe to assume that any work I cite or artwork included in my essay is my right to use under the fair use act?

No, while the distinction between fair use and infringement is not always clear, it is safe to assume that if you are using a substantial amount (in proportion) of a small work (poem, letter), you must obtain permission from the copyright owner to include the work in your essay. Please consult with the editor if you need clarification; there are no hard and fast formulas.

When are works in the public domain?

Works are in the public domain in the US if they were published in the US before 1923 or if they are the work of a US government employee doing their ordinary government job. (For example, if a congressman or -woman writes a novel, the novel is not in the public domain. ) Note: JHUP journals are published worldwide and not all works published before 1923 here or in a foreign country are necessarily in the public domain in other countries.

What are some good sources for public domain images? Here are some websites for copyright-free images:

Library of Congress
US government websites
NOTE: please read the copyright information carefully on the LOC and US government sites, most art is in the public domain but not all.

Do I need permission to use photographs or charts that I find on the Internet?

Often you do. Many photographs and charts on the Internet are copyrighted. Please check the website carefully to see if the images you want to use are copyrighted. Often websites will have a Permissions and Rights link with further information.

Where do I find out where to get permission for an image I've seen in a book?

Please note that the publsher of a book in which you've seen art most likely doesn't own the rights to the art. Look carefully at credits and contact the relevant organization listed there.

If I have translated a poem or other piece of writing, do I need to get permission from the original author or publisher?

Yes, your translation is considered a derivative work, and you need permission from whoever holds the copyright. If the work is no longer under copyright, then you need not obtain permission. This is also true if you're using someone else's image and recreating it by coloring, cropping, or adding other artistic effects.

Art In Digital Format

  1. Supply art in black and white format if at all possible. Authors often prepare graphs or scans of photos in color for other uses, but these will reproduce badly. Some popular color formats are: RGB, spot (Pantone), ICC, and CMYK color. Avoid them!
  2. Submit only TIFF (TIF) or EPS files if you submit art digitally. These are high-resolution files suitable for offset printing. Halftones (art with any shades of grey) should be 266-300 dpi; line art 900-1200 dpi. These are minimums. If the art is to print at more than 100% (in other words, to be enlarged from file size), the resolution must be correspondingly higher.
  3. Do not use Word, PDF, JPG (JPEG), and GIF files. None of these are intended for offset printing. JHUP can sometimes use these formats in a pinch (for example, JPG can be converted to TIFF), but they have more potential for problems.
  4. Please supply hard copy printouts of all art files, along with legends (captions), and any necessary permissions. Legends should be typed on a separate page from the art.
  5. As with any art, please indicate approximate placement in the manuscript. It can be coded in brackets. Example: <fig. 3 about here>.