JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY PRESS,
in alignment with our University’s mission, brings the benefits of discovery to the world. We, the staff of the Press, are committed to honoring every person’s inherent dignity as human beings and making that a foundational principle of our organization’s culture. We strive to connect to our own dignity, the dignity of others, and the dignity of something greater than ourselves. As part of our commitment, we abide by the following principles:
Connect to Our Own Dignity
- We acknowledge our own inherent value and dignity, recognizing that our work is an important extension of ourselves.
- We hold ourselves accountable for our actions, act with integrity, and are committed to delivering excellence in our work.
- We accept responsibility to contribute to a positive work environment.
- We will expand our abilities in effective communication, conflict resolution, and improve other interpersonal skills.
- We will offer constructive, timely feedback in a professional manner when we feel others have violated our dignity or when we have violated others’ dignity.
Connect to the Dignity of Others
- We respect the dignity of others and interact with the understanding that we each have the right to personal choices and values, none of which should purposefully encroach upon the dignity of others.
- We are committed to equity, justice, and inclusion, seeking to understand and actively manage our own prejudices and biases.
- We, at JHUP, are committed to providing an environment that values each person regardless of race, religion, gender identity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, age, and abilities.
- We succeed as a Press when we value and recognize the contributions and individuality of all staff, our colleagues, and publishing and distribution, partners.
- We welcome and actively listen to diverse perspectives and recognize their potential to inspire innovation.
- We promote interdivisional collaboration and create opportunities for meaningful staff participation and engagement at all levels.
Connect to Something Greater Than Ourselves
- We believe that knowledge adds value to human experience and progress by enhancing livelihoods and contributing to the social, cultural, political, and economic development of communities.
- We provide global access and deliver impact for the scholarship that we publish and distribute by:
- Leading in the selection and development of innovative ideas and scholarship;
- Creating pioneering technologies to enhance discovery and learning; and
- Connecting people to the most trusted knowledge from global researchers, scholars, and educators.
- We strive to engage all readers around the world by investing in open access and making our resources attainable and affordable.