This position provides high-level administrative support for the Director of JHU Press and overall administrative and human resource duties for the entire JHU Press. This position is responsible for administrative function of the Director’s office including communications, special event planning, scheduling, travel, and daily administrative support for the senior leadership team. The position is also responsible for day-to-day human resource communication, including new hire coordination, payroll transactions, FMLA requirements, and overtime processing.
- Provide administrative support for special projects and initiatives led by the Director, including strategic planning, donor support, and executive group meetings.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Director’s office including triaging incoming calls and monitoring public mail. Notify staff members and departments when appropriate and coordinate and monitor responses to calls and public mail to ensure each situation is handled efficiently and professionally.
- Manage all incoming and outgoing communications in the Director’s office including preparing, writing, and editing letters, memos, and other correspondences. Coordinate with other departments on all communications to internal and external audiences being sent out under the Director’s name.
- Manage the Director’s calendar and scheduling individual, group, and committee meetings.
- Prepare the Director for a wide range of meetings and presentations by preparing and/or coordinating briefing materials and agendas.
- Manage the domestic and international travel and travel reimbursement for the Director as well as guests, candidates, and other JHUP personnel.
- Manage communication between JHU Press and JHU Human Resources to coordinate new position hiring, terminations, student workers, and FMLA procedures.
- Process all overtime, supplemental payments, and payroll related transactions within SAP system.
- With Director, JHU Press & Director of Finance, coordinate and administer annual employee review process and spreadsheets.
- Oversee personnel files for all JHU employees.
- Provide new hire orientation for new employees to JHU Press.
- Schedule, coordinate, and serve as the primary on-site contact for special events such as meetings, events, and parties. Assist with departmental special activities and events, including providing onsite support.
- In collaboration with the Director develop agendas for staff meetings and advisory board meetings and coordinate all arrangements and presentations, Provide word processing, document management, and layout/formatting support for PowerPoint presentations and similar documents, liaising with teams as needed.
- Contribute to the customer service-oriented atmosphere within the divsion and serve as liaison to other departments and administrative coordinators when needed or requested.
- Develop and maintain an efficient and secure filing and document retention plan for the Director’s office.
- Provide phone coverage during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm)
- All other duties as requested.
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- +5 years previous experience providing administrative support to multiple executive-level staff members.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
Ability to work independently with little direct supervision.
Capable of keeping information, circumstances, and decisions highly confidential.
Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects concurrently.
Discretion in handling sensitive situations and personnel issues.
Excellent communication skills.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certification:
Experience with Microsoft Office applications and Web-based communication platforms.
SAP experience a plus.
Physical Requirements for the Job:
Occasional movement about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, various workstations,
Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and printer.