Johns Hopkins University Press publishes 125 to 140 new titles/year. The book designer for this position is responsible for creating and adapting 30+ text designs, some of which involve rethinking standardized templates, or series designs. About a quarter of titles require custom text designs that should reflect the tone of the content presenting it with clarity and freshness to meet marketing and editorial expectations. Occasionally text typesetting would be a possibility.
Note: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
About 20 to 30+ strong cover or jacket designs are expected in a timely manner. Usually 3 submissions per title are standard but sometimes more. In addition, several rounds of adjustment are possible, often on critical titles to meet the marketing, editorial and author’s approval. This position involves writing instructions for typesetters and close collaboration with the books production staff and their vendors. Close collaboration with editors and marketing staff is also a given, along with active, knowledgeable participation at cover and launch meetings.
Must work within the Press budget, schedules, subject of the work, the author’s intentions and the publishing intentions of the Press. Excellent communication skills essential. Candidate needs the ability to listen, interpret, and verbalize design concepts and elements to all levels of the organization. Includes complete preparation of materials for composition, printing and or binding. Checking proof of all stages for adherence to specifications and Press standards of quality.
- BFA or similar graphic arts training and education required
- Skills/knowledge: thorough knowledge of type and typesetting systems including the Adobe Suite, book production procedures and techniques, proficiency on Macintosh computers.
- Related work experience: 5 years book design experience required, preferably in a university press environment
- Generally works independently
The Digital Marketing Manager will join a team of exceptional professionals committed to bringing knowledge to international audiences in innovative ways that advances teaching and research and enlightens dialog and decisions that affect people’s lives worldwide. As part of the marketing and sales department within the Books Division of Johns Hopkins University Press, the digital marketing manager is responsible for audience development, email and social media marketing, web development, digital advertising, testing, and marketing analytics for 150+ titles each year and 4,000+ backlist titles. This person will have the opportunity to experiment with new ways of engaging readers and in using analytics to drive iterative and agile promotional activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and implementing digital marketing activities to develop audiences, drive engagement, increase sales, and derive audience insights, ensuring maximum dissemination of ideas and achieving financial goals.
- Managing e-mail marketing program for all audience segments with the goals of community building, list growth, engagement, and conversion to sales.
- Creating paid social media campaigns and developing social listening capabilities and influencer programs across all social platforms, continuously testing and optimizing the approach.
- Managing the Books Division Web site including project managing the next version of the site. Creating ways for visitors to sample content, modernizing the e-commerce aspects of the site, and testing pricing—all to enable maximum discovery, longer engagement, lower bounce rates, and boost sales directly to consumers.
- Collaborating with analytics professionals at the press and overseeing and implementing audience insight programs for books.
- Working with a small team of agile promotion and design professionals. Sharing learning opportunities for the department to stay abreast of new technologies, knowledge, and skills.
- Opening new markets for books; exploiting existing ones.
- Monitoring industry trends and the competitive landscape, identifying gaps that JHUP could effectively fill and proposing changes to the digital marketing strategy.
- Working with Co-Directors of Marketing and Sales and CFO to help create rational budgets and deliver revenue and expense outcomes that meet or exceed those budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years of digital marketing experience with 8 years of experience strongly preferred.
- Certificate or degree in digital marketing or similar discipline.
- Extensive experience in conducting online testing, pulling analytics, and iterating online tactics based on data.
- Knowledge of publishing not required but a plus.
- Stellar at all aspects of communication.
- Demonstrated ability to form collaborative teams.
- Creative thinker; embracing new ideas; managing change; passionate about exploiting the potential of JHUP.
- Inclusive in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Fluidity in operating at a high level of abstraction to the details necessary to implement on a daily basis.
- Excel in effective use of resources; keen self-awareness of strengths and weaknesses.