The Digital Marketing Manager will join a team of exceptional professionals committed to bringing knowledge to international audiences in innovative ways that advances teaching and research and enlightens dialog and decisions that affect people’s lives worldwide. As part of the marketing and sales department within the Books Division of Johns Hopkins University Press, the digital marketing manager is responsible for audience development, email and social media marketing, web development, digital advertising, testing, and marketing analytics for 150+ titles each year and 4,000+ backlist titles. This person will have the opportunity to experiment with new ways of engaging readers and in using analytics to drive iterative and agile promotional activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and implementing digital marketing activities to develop audiences, drive engagement, increase sales, and derive audience insights, ensuring maximum dissemination of ideas and achieving financial goals.
- Managing e-mail marketing program for all audience segments with the goals of community building, list growth, engagement, and conversion to sales.
- Creating paid social media campaigns and developing social listening capabilities and influencer programs across all social platforms, continuously testing and optimizing the approach.
- Managing the Books Division Web site including project managing the next version of the site. Creating ways for visitors to sample content, modernizing the e-commerce aspects of the site, and testing pricing—all to enable maximum discovery, longer engagement, lower bounce rates, and boost sales directly to consumers.
- Collaborating with analytics professionals at the press and overseeing and implementing audience insight programs for books.
- Working with a small team of agile promotion and design professionals. Sharing learning opportunities for the department to stay abreast of new technologies, knowledge, and skills.
- Opening new markets for books; exploiting existing ones.
- Monitoring industry trends and the competitive landscape, identifying gaps that JHUP could effectively fill and proposing changes to the digital marketing strategy.
- Working with Co-Directors of Marketing and Sales and CFO to help create rational budgets and deliver revenue and expense outcomes that meet or exceed those budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years of digital marketing experience with 8 years of experience strongly preferred.
- Certificate or degree in digital marketing or similar discipline.
- Extensive experience in conducting online testing, pulling analytics, and iterating online tactics based on data.
- Knowledge of publishing not required but a plus.
- Stellar at all aspects of communication.
- Demonstrated ability to form collaborative teams.
- Creative thinker; embracing new ideas; managing change; passionate about exploiting the potential of JHUP.
- Inclusive in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Fluidity in operating at a high level of abstraction to the details necessary to implement on a daily basis.
- Excel in effective use of resources; keen self-awareness of strengths and weaknesses.
The Database Programmer is responsible for maintenance of the Press’s FileMaker database system and its integration with enterprise systems. This position reports to the IT Software Engineer / Senior Analyst.
The position maintains and troubleshoots all regularly scheduled reporting and other automated database activity on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis. Consults and communicates with on-site and remote database users to fix reported problems and provide user support. Under supervision of the IT Software Engineer / Senior Analyst, the Database Programmer designs, writes, documents, and tests new database features and updates. Monitors and optimizes performance of multiple FileMaker servers. Keeps job knowledge of FileMaker Pro and related systems up-to-date through self-study and professional contacts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual clients and with other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
- Arranges project requirements in programming sequence by analyzing requirements; preparing a work flow chart and diagram using knowledge of database capabilities, subject matter, programming language, and logic.
- Develops and maintains databases by encoding project requirements in computer language; entering coded information into the computer.
- Confirms database operation by conducting tests; modifying program sequence and/or codes.
- Provides reference for use of database applications and servers by writing and maintaining user documentation; maintaining a help desk.
- Maintains database systems and programming guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Develops and maintains applications and databases by evaluating client needs; analyzing requirements; developing software systems.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- One year of related work experience with computer systems and applications required. Additional education may substitute for experience.
- At least two years’ experience in FileMaker Pro development preferred.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytic, and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.Click here to apply for this position